Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mini Cheddar Scones

These simple scones are meant to be mini but by changing the cutting you can make half as many- just larger! Myself, I prefer the mini... I can have "more" this way...

These are a great accompaniment to soups, stews, chili or even salads... Flaky, cheesy bits of goodness... And so easy to make! This recipe is from Cuisine at Home magazine...

Irish Stew and Mini Cheddar Scones


Ingredients:

2 3/4 c all purpose flour
2 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t table salt
1/4 t baking soda
10 T unsalted butter, cold, cubed
1 c Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 c minced fresh chives (I just dumped in dried... maybe 2T or so...)
1 c buttermilk (I use a buttermilk blend)
2 T water
1 egg blended with 1 T water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until pea sized (I used my mixer).

Stir in Cheddar and chives, then add buttermilk at 2T water. Knead gently until well blended. Turn dough out on a lightly floured work surface (it's sticky!) and pat (with floured hands) into an 8" square. Cut into 2" squares and then each square to a triangle.

(Alternately, pat dough into a circle and cut pizza-like into wedges)

Arrange on baking sheet spacing 1" apart.

Brush tops with egg/milk mixture and bake about 25 minutes; until golden.

2 comments:

Kyle Lobner

You mean you don't grow your own chives? I've got a wildly overgrown pot of chives on my front patio...I welcome every opportunity to use some of them.

Anonymous

These sound soooo yummy!

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a